Mastercard: Confirms timescale for phasing out magnetic stripe
- Mastercard has confirmed it will phase out magnetic stripe technology on its credit and debit cards
- It has announced it will support stripe-less cards from 2024, with all cards going this way by 2033.
- The firm says chip-and-pin and biometric cards that use fingerprints and other technology offer greater security
- It claims to be the first payment network to set out the phased withdrawal of the technology.
- The stripe will no longer be required on new cards in select regions including Europe from 2024
- Magnetic stripes have been around since the 1960s and became the primary method of processing debit and credit cards
- Advertisement -